Tuesday, August 28, 2012

This Book Will Make You Feel X Years Younger!

I refuse to grow up. 

...a lot of you probably know that already...

Anyway! What I mean is that I adore the state of childhood as an idea. The state of innocence and wonder that you're in where everything is fresh and free. You have no limits or boundaries and the world is completely yours. Sure there are monsters around every corner - but thankfully you have been taught how to deal with monsters (Vampires? Garlic. Werewolves? Silver. Etc.).

A child cannot be stopped.

An adult can be sent into depression with the mail.

A major reason I continue to play video-games is to re-capture and keep hold of that sense of childhood joy that I had playing them as a kid. Video-games (at least my favorite ones) emulate in many ways my favorite parts of being a kid: the sense of exploration and freedom - the idea of being in an open world and having nothing to stop you from going wherever you want and being whatever you want.

Now, that exact feeling of "you can go wherever you want" can't be conveyed into a novel too well, but in my stories I've tried over and over again to capture the feeling of being a child. It's been one of my main goals.

In most the serious stories I've written, the main character has been a child, or at the least has had a child-like personality. There will even be younger characters who will 'act' older than the main character as a contrast. I'm not saying they'd act up or act like a baby - but they'd act free and have an open mind and view the world with limitless potential.

I want the reader to view the world through those eyes - I want the reader to experience my world at least through fresh eyes and see its beauty and wonder and think, even for a second:

"I could go wherever I wanted, here." 

Love,
 Skinner

No comments:

Post a Comment