Sunday, August 26, 2012

Orcs Need Not Apply

Elves, Dwarves, Goblins, Centaurs, Dragons, Skeletons, and Unicorns...

Usually when someone brings up the fantasy genre, or even says the word "Fantasy" one or more of the above words comes up in the reader's mind, perhaps with some other stock creatures. They're a staple of the genre and writers just can't resist to use them even to this day. People don't even try to re-invent them most the time - they just plop good old Elves in stories and everybody's happy.

Don't get me wrong - I have nothing against that! I love an Elf as much as the next believer; I brought one into my Fairy Tale class in college called "Miss Sugerleaf Brandyvine" in an old shoe-box, and I'd be the first to sign a petition for the ethical treatment of Goblins if their villages were ever discovered and undoubtedly exploited, but one thing I have loved since a child was creating a being from scratch.

That said: it is my goal that my world will be populated by entirely new creations. I do not wish to contain any 'stock' species from other works. All the races and species of creatures and animals in my world I am either creating from scratch or basing on designs from the real-world or mythologies and then heavily editing so that they become my own.

This may sound like a challenge to some, but really this is probably the funnest part of the writing process for me. Creating a species, whether it be a civilized race or a fearsome monster is one of my greatest joys. Creating its physiology, psychology, society, culture, beliefs, fears, behaviors and everything else will keep me contented and occupied for hours.

A Spoiler Free Example of my Creation Process:

About two months ago I was riding in the back of a car looking out at trees passing by and I got an idea for a new forest-dwelling species. I took out my notebook and began jotting down everything from their looks to their cultural practices.

After I had established the basics I began to wonder what creatures they would hunt for food - what creatures would hunt them as prey - what monsters the parents of the race would tell their children about at night to make them behave.

...then I realized I could make all three of those real. I could make all three of those appear in my novel. I could give them all the attention I gave the race I just made. I didn't have to, but I could. -and so I began to create those other creatures then.

You may not ever see those other monsters - you may not ever even see the forest-dwelling race, but this is the level of detail I'm giving to the creatures I'm creating for my world.

I want this world - my world - to be as real as possible.

I'm looking forward to taking you there.

Love,
 Skinner

No comments:

Post a Comment