Saturday, August 25, 2012

Some Words on Content

So, apart from the name...

I guess I really haven't said that much about the actual novel. I know I don't want to reveal too much but some stuff really should be laid out, and the sooner the better perhaps.

A quick note that might interest you: Before I even started writing the first word, I had the entire story planned out in my head. The beginning, all the steps along the path, and the very end. It was all there waiting for me.

What's the Structure?

I've been saying it's a Fantasy novel...but that's a big, big genre. It might help to give a few clues to narrow things down. Again, I really don't want to give too many things away, but some things I do have set in stone...

  • The story is set on another world, hand-crafted continent-by-continent to my tastes. There is a tangential relationship to Earth but it is of the briefest consequence. 
  • The story will take the characters all across the world, visiting the most important sites on their journey so that the reader will get to experience my world completely. 
  • The story will feature a huge, rotating ensemble cast of characters that grow and develop while two to six "principals" remain together for the duration of the journey. 
  • The story's style is intended to be overwhelmingly imaginative. It's actually my desire to bombard the reader with new ideas and vivid images on every page. 


Why "Young Adults?" 

I've been saying my novel is directed at young adults...well... Personally I want everyone, regardless of age to be able to read and enjoy my novel to the fullest extent, so perhaps another way of saying it is that I am writing a novel for all ages that will not contain a lot of what is usually considered "offensive material."

  • There will be little to no "adult language." While I personally feel that language is language and that is that and there is no "bad" language, I know a vast majority do not feel the same, and so - as I do in my public life - I will make sure my characters find other words. 
  • While romance and all that goes with it is nothing to be ashamed of, I know that it's the most dangerous thing to even discuss when censorship or kids are involved. You can trust I won't take chances. I won't sacrifice my characters' growth or stories, but I won't add in anything more than necessary. I'm not Disney - I can't get away with what they can.
  • Drug use will be hidden. There will be references to 'altered states' but you can find references like those even in Disney films. Alcohol will be mentioned. Despite what my high-school classmates probably think I still have never taken illegal drugs so obviously my novel isn't going to be secretly telling kids to get high. 
  • Violence, I am afraid, will be present in my novel, but I can assure readers that it will not be glorified or made heroic. I do not intend for there to be scenes of gore, but scenes of physical pain have already been written in.

That last bullet point is of course where people will find fault, and is why this story for many won't be acceptable for children. I feel I must stress that I, personally, do not find the material in the story (as it is in my head right now) offensive or potentially offensive to children, but I understand perfectly well that others likely will. 

So about this Blog...

I still haven't fully decided what I want to do with this blog, but at least for the first week or so I'll be updating daily. If I start running out of material then I'll slow down and start updating weekly. 

Anyway, thanks again for reading. Any questions or comments you can drop below, or on Facebook, or wherever. 

Love,
 Skinner

No comments:

Post a Comment